When I saw Sabeena’s alphabet the first time, I instantly fell in love with the forms and colors. I was wondering if I could recreate the same feeling using Blender.
I tried first using only things I can find in Blender and ended up with techno-tourette.
So I decided to start up my old friend inkscape and scanned some curves off the original design of the letter U. I imported the curves back into Blender and extruded them. In order to get the feeling for the paper right, I added a solidify and a subsurf modifier to the whole thing, chose some colors and there you go.
I did not use a texture, but chose a subsurf modifier in addition to the BSDF.
Lesson learned: When you want to recreate complex paper foldings, it might be a good idea to use inkscape for the curves.
Visit Sabeena’s alphabet on Behance