There is one question I get asked a lot: Can you suggest a camera? And my answer is always the same: There is no simple answer to this task, but I am glad to give you some tips.
First of all you have to think about the following questions.
- Do you already have a camera by a certain manufacturer? What do you like and what is an absolute Nonono?
- What is your budget?
- What do you want to do?
- If you want to have a DSLR: Do your friends have a certain camera system you could borrow or switch lenses with?
I think by now you have an idea what type of camera you want to have. Now the real work starts: Comparing the cameras. Stop now! Somebody already did this for you: Snapsort (and for lenses this will be the LensHero)
Snapsort is a great place to do the following things:
- You can explore the cameras in categories and have the most important facts right there, e.g.: the 60D
- You can compare two cameras. What I like here is the list at the bottom: Competitors in the same class.
- “Just tell me!”: You enter a sum of money and the suggest a camera.
So with the answers of above and Snapsort you can make a good decision which camera to buy. I found my beloved S95 on snapsort and I decided to go for the 60D… OK. You got me. I am a Canon person 😉